The Bible Is the Only Stable Foundation
by Rick Warren
“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.” (Matthew 7:24 NIV)
The foundation of a house tells you how big the house can get. You can’t put a big house on a small or faulty foundation. It’ll collapse every time.
The same is true for our lives. You can’t become what God wants you to be on a faulty foundation.
We’re given a lot of different options for what the foundation of our lives will be:
- Popular culture. Some people think they’ll simply do what every other person is doing. If it’s popular, that’s what they do, too. Yet what’s popular today won’t be popular tomorrow. Basing your life on popular culture is like building a house on a constantly moving foundation. It doesn’t work!
- Tradition. Other people build their lives on what has always been done or how their parents did it. That does make a little sense. Tradition becomes tradition because it works. But no tradition lasts forever. It eventually wears out, becomes obsolete, and is invalid. In Mark 7:8 Jesus tells the Pharisees never to put tradition before truth. It’s a good reminder for all of us.
- Reason. God gave us the ability to reason; we need to use it. But our reason isn’t infallible. Proverbs 16:25 says, “There is a way that appears to be right,but in the end it leads to death” (NIV). The smartest among us will falter at times; it’s to be expected. Only God can be trusted all the time.
- Emotions. Some build their lives on a feeling. If it feels right, they do it. But feelings lie — they lie all the time! You lie to yourself more than anyone else. If you live by your feelings, you’ll spend your life manipulated by your moods.
If it doesn’t work to build your life on popular culture, tradition, reason, or emotion, what should you build your life upon? God’s Word.
Jesus says this in Matthew 7:24: “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.”
Popular culture changes, traditions grow stale, reason can be faulty, and emotions lie. Yet God’s Word never changes.
You may not always understand his Word. You may not always like it. It won’t always be politically correct.
But it’s the only thing stable enough to build our lives upon.
Talk It Over
- On what have you built the foundation of your life? How is it holding up?
- What keeps you from building your foundation fully on God’s Word?
Why is it sometimes difficult to put God’s truth before tradition?
Thank You Very Much for stopping by GOD Bless spread the Word.
Please LIKE COMMENT & SHARE This One!!